Vintage Bicycle Celebration
2018 Vintage Bicycles Celebration!
Partnering again with Classic Bicycles of New Mexico, the Santa Fe Century is happy to continue our Vintage Bicycle Celebration.
If you own a vintage bike (known in Italian as "Bici Eroicheâ€ť), youâ€TM re not only invited to ride it, but also Show It Off - - at the Concours dâ€TM Elegance, during Saturdayâ€TM s official Century registration and packet pick-up, May 19th, starting at 5:00PM.
All Bici Eroiche will receive a commemorative number plate for registering as a â€oeVintage Bike Rider.â€ť Number plates will be distributed at the Concours dâ€TM Elegance. And, at this yearâ€TM s Concours, weâ€TM ll be presenting a â€oeBest of Showâ€ť trophy, as well as a â€oePeopleâ€TM s Choiceâ€ť award.
Riders of "Bici Eroicheâ€ť, are encouraged to participate in any of the Santa Fe Century distances offered. Ride as far as you want. Itâ€TM s totally up to you!
We also hope that youâ€TM ll dress in period style clothing on Saturday, during the Concours, as well as on Sunday, during your ride. (Please note: ASTM approved helmets are MANDATORY for all riders).
What qualifies as a Vintage Road Bicycle?
Out of respect for the now famous Lâ€TM Eroica event of Tuscany, weâ€TM ll follow Giancarlo Brocciâ€TM s original criteria for Bici Eroiche. Your bicycle should have been built before 1987 (although "Vintage Style Bikes" with steel frame from recent construction, with vintage look and characteristics, may be used). If the bicycle is geared, it should have shift levers on the down tube of the frame (exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end shifters and rod/hand manual operated front derailleurs). Your pedals should be with toe clips and straps, or for older bikes, you should have the original pedals, or something like the originals. The brake cables should pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the frame). Tubular tires are admired, but optional.
Concours d'Elegance on Saturday, May 19th
Our Concours dâ€TM Elegance, is a pageant of bikes, held during registration and packet pickup. All vintage bikes are invited to arrive at 5:00pm and participate. As long as you are registered and have your registration number, youâ€TM ll receive a commemorative number plate. All qualifying bicycles in the Concours will be considered in the â€oeBest Of Showâ€ť competition for the trophy. The viewing public will vote for the â€oePeopleâ€TM s Choiceâ€ť award.
Commemorative Number Plate
All registered Vintage bikes will receive a commemorative frame-mount number plate on Saturday, during the Concours, in addition to their official Century bib number.
How to sign up
When you register, please mark the small box on the rider registration form for "Vintage Bike.â€ť Checking this box, will entitle you to the special number plate, as well as a spot in the Concours dâ€TM Elegance.
Things you should know
1. Only officially registered bikes, which meet the criteria as â€oeVintageâ€ť are allowed in the Concours.
2. Each "Bici Eroicheâ€ť rider will receive a commemorative number plate for registering as a â€oeVintage Bike Rider.â€ť Number plates will be distributed during Saturdayâ€TM s official Century registration and packet pick-up.
3. If youâ€TM re part of the Vintage Bike Celebration, we expect you to ride your bike in one of the official distances on Sunday, during the Century.
4. Please join the Classic Bicycles of New Mexico page on FaceBook for more information about the Bike Portrait Project. While youâ€TM re at the event, weâ€TM d like to take a portrait of you and your bike, so please wear your coolest retro cycling kit.
5. Need more information about the Vintage Bicycle Celebration, but donâ€TM t like using FaceBook? Contact: Jeff Della Penna (505) 231-5039, firstname.lastname@example.org